Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Memorial Day Excursion




For years I have intended to take my family to a cemetery on Memorial Day. And each year the day slips by without the trip. This year I almost threw a FIT about going. Swimming would have to wait. Sleeping in would be kept to a minimum. Friends could come play on another day. And Camille could take a nap when we got home.
We visited my grandmother's cemetery and to my amazement, my children loved every minute of our visit. They weren't eager to leave. They wanted to study the gravestones. They looked at names and dates and noticed the inscriptions. They got teary-eyed when we walked through the section with babies who lived only a day or two. We talked about God's plan for us to come to this earth to receive bodies then to return to live with him again.
I am sure our family is going to make this an annual tradition because of how memorable this year's Memorial Day was.


3 comments:

Danielle said...

My dad's family goes every year to the family cemetery in the mountains for Decoration. They place flowers and flags on the grave sites and clean family members' headstones. I went all the time as a little girl. It really touched me. I want to take my kids someday, too. What a neat way to spend Memorial Day. Your girls are sooo sweet.

The Roberts said...

We both come from Boyd, dont we. Just not a common name.

Janelle said...

That is so awesome. We used to do that every year when I was growing up, and now I wish I lived closer so I could do it with my kids. It was always a neat experience.