Wednesday, October 22, 2008

What in the world?


Imagine my surprise while searching for the neighbor boy's ball in my backyard bushes and finding THESE growing on one of our trees! Tons of huge, green, unidentifiable fruit.
See, we planted an orange tree in 1998 but it died. Then 2 years later it started growing. So for the past 8 years we've had a beautiful tree, with no fruit. When I made the discovery I promptly told Troy.
Why he waited until we had company sitting at our kitchen table, I'll never know.... but he went out and picked a bunch of the fruit and put them all in the CENTER of the kitchen table (where they stayed for 2 more days until I disposed of them.)
Our conversation turned into a type of science lecture. After slicing one open, we decided they were oranges since that's what they smelled like. We'll have to wait until the remaining ones on the tree ripen to see exactly what we are growing in our backyard. Kind of makes me feel like Jack & the Beanstalk.

3 comments:

Myrna said...

How interesting is this? WOW!! You've discovered an ancient fruit that has resurfaced in your own back yard... Did they taste like oranges? At first I thought that they were some sort of ghord for Halloween...very in-ta-esting (said with a german accent).

The Roberts said...

That is hilarious!

Stephanie said...

What is in the water that you are using to keep that tree alive?? If those are oranges, they are the biggest and strangest things I have ever seen! Wow!